Re: RE: Gloranthan Archeology

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:29:03 -0400

"Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City)" wrote:

> > ...that hill and ridge called Gustbran's Hammer really just might BE
> > his hammer.
>
> I really like this idea. Immediately brings to mind some good ideas for
> tortuous goals for the player - go retrieve Gustban's Hammer. One could
> picture an army of Mostali swarming over the hill, readying the hammer for
> new use... or the lunar's airlifting it by bat away...

Of course not. Its just a hill...

...but if you go on a HeroQuest, its JUST the right size for you. Remember, on the hero-plane/god-plane, we too are gods/spirits/essences/whatever.

You can look Yelmalio in the eye (albeit you have look up a little) and spit in it if you're brave. But if you observe the god/hero planes from outside (eg, looking at the Plateau of Statues or the top of Spiral Mountain, you find _gigantic_ buildings and frozen giants.

> > > * What are the most famous heirlooms/historical objects in Glorantha
> >
> > Check out the old RuneQuest supplement 'Plunder' if you can find it --
>
> Don't have it... was it Glorantha-specific?

> On to John:

That's not an image I like. =)

> Who says we're dealing with Heortlings? Indianos Jonisor, devotee of Irripi
> Ontor Adventurous, lecturer in First Age Archeology at the University of
> Jillaro, at your service...

good point. Let me back... away... slowly from the dangerous lunatic....

> BTW, all of this talk of mysterious and possibly dangerous buried Yoof
> artifacts makes me think of Sartar as being rather more post-apocalyptic
> than I had earlier thought... I've always imagined Sartar as being fairly

EVERYONE died in the 1100's. Everyone. And before that, the Vingkotling civilization was wiped out during the Chaos age. And during the Gabji Wars, Dragon Pass was a stalemated battle-front.

> 'greenfield', but I like the idea of the country being littered with the
> scary detritus of past wars, and of the Heortlings (and especially the lunar
> colonists, who don't know better) always being in danger of triggering
> something they really shouldn't have...

Sort of like the Witch-world by Andre Norton (who seems to still be alive!)

Jeff