RE: Gloranthan Archeology

From: Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City) <"Posselt,>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:28:06 -0500

Oliver:

> Actually (rather immodestly) it can be seen on my KODP website at :
>
> http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/kodp/treasure.html
> <http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz/kodp/treasure.html>
>
> Someone used to have a list by function (linked to from Bryan
> Maloney's
> site) but the link's broken.
>

> > Dragonnewt armor? don't they have their own skin? do they
> wear armor?
>
> Actually they do but the armour in question here is that made
> from their
> skin. Unfortunately unlike most things killed to make armour
> dragonewts
> come back looking for you so a suit of armour is good for testing your
> combat skills. Dragonewts cannot go to the next stage in
> their existence
> without their hides intact as it were.

Ok, that makes an awful lot of sense. two questions on this, now that we're straying off-topic. First, is it canonical that they have to have their hides to move up the psychic ranks? This seems a little odd, given that they're physically recreated with each resurrection. What if their old body just lost some scales - would they have to recover those as well.

second - actually this is a comment more than a question - who knows what a dragonnewt's reaction might be to being skinned. perhaps it would be good for it...

> than they were intended for. Take the example of Ingeborg Bollison who
> wields the dreaded Bladed Mace of the Lost Dragons. This is

Loved this example as well... I should ask you for all of my 'annoy the players' items.

Roderick and Oliver have an exchange:

> > > Hmm, this is starting to sound like the R&D division of
> Alpha City (re:
> > > Paranoia). "We found this ancient weapon. Take it out
> and see what it
> > does.
> > > Far away from us!"
> >
> > Well, you wouldn't want to overdo the weird relics since
> that would make
> the
> > campaign too silly.
>
> And heaven forfend that Glornatha be seen as silly! Actually, the
> metaphysics of Toon appeal to me for Spirit World adventures...

I always thought of Paranoia as being a good source for dealing with openhandist Mostali...

Jeff:

> > BTW, all of this talk of mysterious and possibly dangerous
> buried Yoof
> > artifacts makes me think of Sartar as being rather more
> post-apocalyptic
> > than I had earlier thought... I've always imagined Sartar
> as being fairly
>
> EVERYONE died in the 1100's. Everyone. And before that, the
> Vingkotling
> civilization was wiped out during the Chaos age. And during the Gabji
> Wars, Dragon Pass was a stalemated battle-front.

Maybe I should have clarified more - I meant that I thought of Sartar as having been completely overgrown after all those wars (and the 300 years without humans). So when the heortlings returned, they wouldn't see many signs of previous history.

> especially the lunar
> > colonists, who don't know better) always being in danger of
> triggering
> > something they really shouldn't have...
>
> Sort of like the Witch-world by Andre Norton (who seems to still be
> alive!)

Haven't read those, probably I should.

In terms of Peloria, I think of the Book of the New Urth quartet from Gene Wolfe - Sword of the Torturer, etc - with the land being a palimpsest of all the previous lives that have come before. Except that Dara Happa is too mono-cultural for that...