Re: Pre-moving rituals

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 02:40:58 -0400

Dave Pearton wrote:

>My first thing would be propriation of the ancestors.

The Lonisi and their sibling clans, the Enhyli and Narri, are leaving their little stretch of the Upper Lysos Valley near Arkat's Hold under divine mandate... from the results of our clan creation session. Propitiation of the ancestors is already somewhat covered by normal magical preparations. The "Otherside" preparation ritual is specifically intended to represent effort made to retain a connection with those gods which do not have wyters of their own. The ritual is in essence the magical equivalent of leaving a forwarding address. :)

>Either one needs to convince them to move with you, or
>cutting yourself off from them so that they don't think
>you are abandoning them...

In KING OF SARTAR, the Colymar specifically refrain from contacting ancesters held in common with relatives in Kethaela, so as not to advertise that they had survived their sojourn into Dragon Pass. The Lonisi do not have to worry about this, since they are leaving no relatives behind. However, there are rituals which must be performed before they can move the urnfield with them. Part of the Otherside preparation ritual involves doing precisely this.

>Maybe they have ancient ancestors in Dragon Pass from
>before the Dragonkill that they might re-establish
>relations with...

The Lonisi and their sibling clans have rather limited ancient connections in Dragon Pass. They fled Saird after the First Theyalan War (368) and hid from their tribal enemies for a time by living in the hills on the edge of Snakepipe Hollow. Their chief in those days was Eringulf Vanak Spear. The triaty warband mustered to fight alongside King Garindath at the Battle of Night and Day (379), where Eringulf received his death-wound. Before he expired, however, Eringulf instructed them to seek refuge in the foothills southeast of Arrowmound, near their ancient Esrolvuli allies. This shielded them from attacks by Lokamayadon and his armies for nearly a generation but, after the Battle of Vanntar (397), the Council held all of Dragon Pass and Maniria by force of arms. The Lonisi and their sibling clans languished under the rule of Palangio Iron Vrok for another generation before Arkat liberated them.

>Going into a new land without the support and intercession
>of your ancestors would be a scary thing!

My main inspiration here is KING OF DRAGON PASS, so the Lonisi and their sibling clans will have to conduct special sacrifices in order to reforge their connection to certain gods and ancestors once they establish their new tulas in Dragon Pass. Because they carry the wyters of their main shrines and temples with them, certain magics... those from Orlanth, Ernalda, Elmal, Vinga and Yinkin (determined from clan creation)... will remain available during the migration.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and