RE: Pre-moving rituals

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:49:18 -0400

Dave Pearton said :

> My first thing would be propriation of the ancestors. Either one needs to
convince >them to move with you - taking earth from the ancestral urn field? Or cutting
>yourself off from them so that they don't think you are abandoning them
with the
>attendant bad luck that that would entail... Maybe they have ancient
ancestors in
>Dragon Pass from before the Dragonkill that they might be able to
re-establish
>relations with now that the deathline is gone? (Sounds like a fun
scenario!) Going
>into a new land without the support and intercession of your ancestors
would be a
>scary thing!

In the campaign I'm go-narrating the Amber clan were being formed as a new clan from one that was staying. Part of the whole new clan making cermony was getting the ancestors' approval. Once that was achieved they conducted a ceremony in which parent urns were created for a new urnfield by taking a little bit of ash and bone from as many of the existing urns in the old urnfield as possible. A little bit of soil was included as well so that when they reached their new home they could establish a new urnfield with connections to the old one. Since their parent clan was staying behind to fight pharoah it was almost certain that the old field would be destroyed so they didn't want to lose that connection.

Oliver