Re: Virtues; DIR only

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:37:29 -0700

> Can you have the powers without the virtue? I would have expected
> the virtue to eb a component of amagic or professional package, and
> thus in effect be compulsory for characters of those types. Could
> you design a character of a school which listed certain virtues so
> that they in fact had noont of those virtues?

Sure, as part of character creation.

In play, if you are constantly behaving opposite to the way your deity expects, you're going to run into lots of difficulties.

Ian asked

> The Anmangarn or Black Spear clan are the keepers of secrets(a la
> King of Sartar) - so I can appreciate why Greg wanted them
> as "director-only", but the Varmandi of RQ3's 'What my father told
> me?" ;-o
>
> I wonder what terrible secrets or future meant they were not suitable
> for player characters? Any guesses?

Having played in Jeff Richard's Varmandi game at least qualifies me to speculate... We figured Greg didn't expect that any normal group of players would in fact play a clan that was a bloodthirsty war clan for hundreds of years. If this was Greg's worry, I think we proved him wrong. (Details at my web site.)

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>