Re: Lunar Ranks & Regiments

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:19:01 +0200

John :

> I'm looking for Lunar army rank structure: specifically, I'm looking for
> nco-equivalent ranks for Quartermaster types who you might find in an Alda
> Chur market or upon the Tarsh Road circa 1620. If there is regimental or
> uniform information available, so much the better.
>
> 'Centurian' and 'decurian' are our old standbyes,

... plus the newer, moonier, septurion ...

Anyone know a (good) archaic/lunar word meaning (7x7) ?

I suppose that seven septurions (and their men) could constitute a septemvir, but what would the overall commander of seven septuries (units of seven men) be called ? P'raps a septentrion, to tie in with the Sky myths ; although it's a bit stellar, so septentrion might be a rank in Pole Star's army ?

Alternatively, septemvirs might make their decisions by majority vote, having no overall commander (except as pertains to the Order of Battle they're deployed in), which would better reflect the classical meaning of the word, and also constitute a fairly decent pattern for HW gaming, each member of the septemvir being a PC Hero ?

> but they sit a little
> odly in the context I'm using them. I guess I'm looking for 'ethnic' titles
> rather analogues. What about maniple leaders? Manipulators?

Optiones, classically.

The classical decurion, centurion, optione etc.. words would be Dara Happan ranks based on the holiness of the great number "Ten", of course ...

Julian Lord