Army ranks

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:26:27 EDT

John writes:

<< I'm looking for Lunar army rank structure: specifically, I'm looking for  nco-equivalent ranks for Quartermaster types who you might find in an Alda  Chur market or upon the Tarsh Road circa 1620. If there is regimental or  uniform information available, so much the better.>>

When you say Lunar, I take it you are referring to the Imperial forces? If so, then the actual ranks within the Imperial forces vary greatly in name and in some cases relative importance and duties. For example, a Darjiini regiment would be commanded by a Manimath, a Pre-Jannisor Lunar regiment might be commanded by a Estaron, while a modern regiment founded by Magnificus could be commanded by a Centurion or a Vethderi, after the founder of the Modern system - Vethder.

Lower ranks would have variance too. For the PargAddi, the NCOs are the Kastari and the magical support troops are titled Irdexmots.

>> 'Centurian' and 'decurian' are our old standbyes, but they sit a little
 odly in the context I'm using them. I guess I'm looking for 'ethnic' titles  rather analogues. What about maniple leaders? Manipulators? >>

I will be working on a tabular form of this. There is so much variety out there in the Empire, that you could list individual names for many regiments.  But, given that this level of complexity is confusing to many who are less than interested in military minutia, the old standbys work. Having said that, I instituted a rank system for the PargAddi unlike any RW naming convention and the players bacame used to it within a session, even though they aren't military nuts. Its pretty easy really - they look around and say "hes above me and I'm above him" and thats all that rank is.

Which regiments would you need the info for?

Martin Laurie