Re: Re: Moonboats

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:28:45 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Mark Galeotti wrote:

> > And how much glowing, pulsating, crystaline moon rock they've got
> > onboard. Don't worry though - it's a prefectly safe power source!
> >
> > Simon Hibbs
>
> Wesley and Martin have done the work on moonboats for the Imperial
> Lunar Handbook, but I do know that they old 'steampunk' image of
> glowing moonrock has been replaced by constructions of red moon-
> reeds. After all, their roots are in the Darjiini Yestendos and his
> son Vargar, now a lunar hero: the Darjiinians build in reeds and
> don't have the forests or the need to build wooden ships - and
> certainly not sky-galleons! The best model would be Egyptian reed
> vessels. These need not be small and certainly aren't as fragile as
> this may sound (Egyptian boats plied the Mediterranean).
>
> Hope this is of use,
>
> Mark

Ah, marvelous. I was remembering something like this. Flying reedboats sound really nifty. And I like the analogy. Reedboats don't last very long, since the reeds decay in the water much faster than wooden ships do. I'd imagine the harvested moonreeds start to fray and lose their magic, and the ships only last a couple of years. (parhaps one can store the reeds, onboard but not in use, to make repairs on long campaigns.)

The moonrock booster reactor could still be a part of the works. Especially for military vessels that need to be extra fast, and travel outside the glowline. To enhance the moonbeams, if you will.

"The keelreeds canna' take it cap'n!"

"Damn it, I said full power!"

        -Adept