Re: Interest in original Gloranthic Poser models?

From: bjm10_at_...
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:50:09 -0000

Poser4 can export *animations* (including "animations" of only one frame) into VRML and H-ANIM. This is not what you mean, though. You want an actual animatable model, right? I can get the basic model mesh into Lightwave OBJ, as 3ds, as anim8or (a new format with some neat features but not debugged) or even as a C source file. OBJ, 3ds, and C probably won't have joint parameters. I'll dig around for more information on this. Unfortunately, I have no VRML authoring software since VRML is way out on the fringe of the 3d modeling world.

Where is there a good definition of the VRML model format?

> (What I'd really like is a Sun Dome Templar, with limbs done as
> separate transforms so I can animate them, and with a bitmapped face

That's not how I've become familiar with jointed figures in 3d modeling. Instead, either one mesh is loaded and then joint transforms are handled by the software via transformation parameters or multiple meshes are loaded and their relationship to each other is constrained by transformation parameters, but in either case the parameters are set within the software package and then animation becomes a relatively simple matter. Do you need the limbs to be done as distinct *objects*? This is quite simple if one has a "whole" item--presuming that your software package is then capable of welding seams.

However, as I've said, VRML is out there on the far fringe, so I'm not much up on it. (What is at the galactic core of 3d modeling and animation? Prototyping, movie special effects, advertising design, Transformers Beast Machines--essentially, items where the final product is actually a "render" of the model and transformations.)

> that I can exchange for scanned images of various Gloranthan
> notables...)

If you had Poser, this would be a trivial matter, as would any pre-set animation.

> But yes, a Duck, or an Uz, standing on a street corner, would liven
> the place up.

I'm starting to do the gross external anatomical mapping already.