RQ vs. Hero Wars--does anyone else miss the Old Days??

From: Shannon R. Wright <shwright17sons_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 00:32:07 -0000

I'm new at this so please forgive. I've played RuneQuest 1st ed. since about 1980-81 when I could not form up a Basic D&D group, but found a RQ gamemaster willing to run me solo. It was some of the best roleplaying of my life. I still compare everything against the adventures of Hans Jurgen-Light of Yelmolio. I was sad when Avanlon Hill took over and now I have not played in 5-8 years I come back to the same Glorantha, but with Hero Wars. I looked at the PDF rules files and they seem confusing to me. Like there is no damage per say or no definite you suceeded /you failed like in the old days with the percentile system. I hated when they came out with Magic because it took away the thought of RPG and made everything into a generic card with numbers and abilities. Maybe it is just me. Maybe I'm the Stegasaurous lumbering along wondering why the RPG world has changed so much. maybe it is where I live now. most of my roleplaying years where spent is Colorado Springs, CO. or Victorville , CA. near convention central--L.A. . Now I live in Amish country where they still have outhouses and horse&buggies near Gettysburg. I would try The CD-Rom game DragonPass, but living on Social Security Disability limits what you can do and spending extra money on a game is not in my future. Hopefully I can remember ym adventures in Apple Lane, Snakepipe hollow, Prax, Pavis, and Sartar and help some people with questions, or maybe someone can help me come out of the Triassic period and see the new world of RPG's.

       Thanks to all how care to share.

            Hans Jurgen-LightMaster of Yelmolio, Defender of Freedom