Re: Re: spirits, daimones and essenses.

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:13:04 -0500

Wesley Quadros says:

>IMO No. Liturgists do not use magic. They read prayers out of the
>Abiding Book but that is about all. I don't think that they have any
>more understanding than an 8th century rural christian priest did of the
>bible ("here's a prayer book, read this out loud every sunday and
>collect the tithe!")

        I think it depends at least somewhat on the Liturgist. I can't imagine that Liturgists, across the wide range of Malkioni creeds, social situations, etc. are all of a type. Sure, Wizards and Sorcerors are the real magic experts, but there are going to be a lot of villages that don't get regular appearances by wizards, and the Liturgist is going to have to be able to recognize various supernatural forces in time to send someone for help. Of course, a Liturgist that spends too much time thinking about this stuff is probably very close to caste-breaking....

>Godyr pretty much must be devotees. Priests don't have to be. Infact,
>in DH many priests are little better than liturgists.

        I don't suppose that Dara Happans have a "god-talker" keyword, though. No doubt their magical experts are constructed somewhat differently than among the Heortlings.

Peter Larsen