Re: spirits, daimones and essenses.

From: bjm10_at_...
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 20:11:20 -0000

> IMO No. Liturgists do not use magic. They read prayers out of the
> Abiding Book but that is about all. I don't think that they have any
> more understanding than an 8th century rural christian priest did of the
> bible ("here's a prayer book, read this out loud every sunday and
> collect the tithe!")

A more modern analogy:

Liturgist: Cantor/Lector/Reader
Wizard: Priest

Deacons occupy a middle ground that varies depending upon the organization. In my Church, the Diaconate is ordained but not empowered to transfer the Grace within the Mysteries except to assist in their performance by a Priest, who is himself only empowered to transfer the Grace within the Mysteries as an agent of the Bishop.

> A priest is a psuedo-political position. A godi is a person with a

And this might correspond more with a Bishop in modern ecclesiology, while "High Priests" would correspond with Metropolitans, Archbishops, and Patriarchs. "The High Priest of" (ie, none are "higher" in the hierarchy) would correspond to the head Hierarch of a synod.