RE: Keeping abreast of Uz developments

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:05:21 -0500

Oliver Bernuetz says:

>Funny that you should mention that but way back in the "glory days" of RQ2 I
>wrote up a cult called the Brotherhood of the Sacred Search which was a
>troll cult of males only that was dedicated to reversing the curse.

>I'm not that the idea still flies these days but it might make a weird but
>interesting troll mystic brotherhood instead of a cult. I've still got a
>typewritten (shudder) copy of the original somewhere. That just tells you
>how long ago it was.

        Sounds more like a heroband to me, although it could certainly be Mystic. The members would probably have a hard time of it; fertility strikes me as a female issue for the Uz -- males being good for one part of it, but not much else. So they would fall somewhere between the "Good Son" Kaarg and the "Bad Son" Zorak Zoran.

        If anyone is looking for a good literary treatment of a uz-similar people, Eleanor Arnason's "Ring of Swords" has an interesting society based on gender segregation. It also deals well with different male and female interpretations of the society. And it has some scary matriarchs. Plus, the trouble of translating MacBeth into an alien language.

Peter Larsen