The Emperor's Toenails

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 02:01:06 +0200 (CEST)

Theo Posselt's questions about "Archaeology in Glorantha" resulted in some good answers. I especially enjoyed the replies of Peter Larsen, John Hughes, and Peter Metcalfe. Peter Metcalfe's extensive list of famous heirlooms was impressive, indeed, and John's comments were insightful as always.

The subject inspired me into writing the following snippet:

THE EMPEROR'S TOENAILS Every year the Lunar Emperor performs cleansing rites in preparation of the Sacred Time celebrations. He is attended by seven albino maidens, who cuts his hair, and the nails on his fingers and toes. The hair is burned, and the ashes are used to fertilize the Imperial Gardens. His fingernails are grinded and used in the annual Blessing of the Imperial Bakery. His toenails are made into a single piece of elaborate jewelry, and awarded to a deserving officer of the Imperial Army. To recieve the toenail-jewelry is considered a great honour, and to lose it is a disgrace.

Falticus Honorius is a Lunar officer who participated in the attempted desecration of the Hill of Orlanth Victorious. He is one of the few Lunar survivors of the ensuing massacre. In the battle he lost his most precious possession -- the Emperor's Toenails -- and he has been trying to retrieve it ever since.

This is what happened:
After the battle, the jewelry was found by Benk Eriksson, a young warrior of the player heroes' clan. Benk sold it to a Wild Sage, who in turn left it in the care of the Jonstown Lhankor Mhy Temple before he was forced to flee to the city of Karse in a desperate attempt to escape the Lunar authorities (he is wanted by the Lunars for offenses completely unrelated to the events in this cameo adventure).

The Episode:
Benk Eriksson, who has been living in exile since the rebellion, is dying (for whatever reason), and returns home to spend his final days on his old tula. Falticus Honorius, who believes that Benk still has the treasure in his possession, shows up with a contingent of hardened veterans. Can the heroes stop Benk from being captured, tortured, and punished? Perhaps they will set out on a chase across Dragon Pass trying to get hold of the valuable atrifact themselves. Whatever happens it will surely be an interesting lesson in local history, as well as an exciting and entertaining adventure.

WHAT?
I hear you wonder: What on earth is the connection between this post and the "Archaeology in Glorantha"-thread?

Well, in order to find out you have to check out the latest updates on my Hero Wars page:

www.geocities.com/doctorpeace

Enjoy!

/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?