The relvance of Tarsh (was Unspoken Word)

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:42:17 -0000

OK - first a disclaimer - I wrote the Exiles material for UW1 (though "I have seen further by standing on the shoulders of giants") so I guess I have to declare an interest.

> Thom Baguley wrote:
>The focus on Tarsh suggests that much material will not be directly
>useful to many campaigns

Benedict Adamson:
>-If, as in our campaign, the inevitable happens and the heroes have
to flee, or even if they are merely outlawed for other reasons, where will the heroes go? ... Tarsh material provides a documented destination that is new yet not too alien.-<

I guess it depends how 'local' your game is. To me, Dragon Pass is not just Sartar, but also Beast Valley, The Grazers, The Black Horse Troop, The Dragonnewts, The Trolls of Skyfall Lake and Tarsh (and just about anybody else on the DP counter list). Even a confimedly clan-based Sartarite campaign could benefit from a trip to one of the other areas, for a change of scenery and pace. Exploration and travel are great themes.

And let's face it the history of the Pass is as much more the history of Tarsh than Sartar(which is IMO a bit of a side show <g>), both now and in the Hero Wars - so its a nice to get a view of it. The more I learn about Tarsh (old and new), the more I think it is a great setting for games.

Ian Cooper