RE: Re: Alynx versus Bobcat

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:14:23 -0700

At 01:25 PM 6/7/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I wonder though whether most animals are
>animistic or theistic? Are the cows in the West sorcerous cows? Are the
>ones in the East mystical? Maybe most animals are animistic with only
>exceptional species like alynxes or sky-bulls being theistic, sorcerous,
>mystical, etc. Or am I completely off track with this?

You are generally on track here Oliver. Animals used to be that way, anyway. That was the truth in the earliest mythic ages that can be found on the Hero Planes. If people go "back far enough" then the animals are limited to the pure animals of that world. Danmalastan, for instance, is full of sorcerous animals only. Note that those zoologies do not include all the animals that are known today, and they do include many animals that are extinct today. Such perfect places are the "paradise ages" and one of the proofs used by the God Learners saying that the worlds were originally separate and later collided to create Glorantha.
Note too that no one in those primal ages realizes that their animals at that period are anything but normal, or even that they could be something else. Learning this would end the age of innocence. If a hero went back then to check whether all animals were sorcerous in Danmalastan, then he might find that it was NOT so. This is the equivalent of violating the Green Age, bringing an awareness to it that was not known before. This is exactly the kind of action that violates the Green Age (-like) purity of the "paradise ages" and bears serious repercussions for whoever disrupts the original worlds.
The prehistoric Hero Ages saw the extermination of most of the pure animals, and also the mixing together of the creatures of the various worlds to make Glorantha. Most of the animals alive are Burtae, "bastard animals" or "mixed creatures" or "impure hybrids." Horses bred with horses, cows with bulls, and so on. Thus many animals are of no world except the inner world of Glorantha.
A couple parallels to keep in mind:
The same thing happened with plants. However, Aldrya managed to contain all of those within her. Her being includes spirt trees, god trees, essence trees, and mixed trees.
Also, everyone knows how human beings were made of the "man rune," which was made by all the gods mixing themselves together, or contributred to its making. This is another example of the same mixing up.

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>