Re: Putting your enemies in the arena

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:49:56 -0000

IIRC the roman gladiator tradition started as part of funeral rites, and that they had picked this up from the Etruscans. Now, plenty of other cultures had physical specatacles, but I think that gladiatoral displays were fairly unique to the roman world.

Many things work very differently in Glorantha, of course, but following the same lines of development, it seems likely that such games would have started off only associated with one cult. If such events spread elsewhere, it would likely bring the cult with it. Shargash seems to have spread beyond Alkoth, if I understand correctly.

In other words, although I have no idea of the official view, it seems totally reasonable to me that the Alkothi have long held bloody combat rites to honor/appease Shargash, probably on one or more of his holy days. These may eventually have been formalized and stuck into an arena. As they became more popular savvy rulers could help strengthen but still somewhat control this useful but dangerous cult by sponsoring and promoting more such events. I don't imagine that under Dara Happan command other cities would have adopted Shargash to such a scale, but with lunar cross-pollination happening I can imagine this being a useful way to bring the cult to new regions.

Humans being what we are, it is likely that some neighbours would have observed the games, and tried adopting a similar idea with the associated cult. I'd imagine that these would end up being a pale imitation, easily co-opted once the real thing was imported (more blood! greater violence! Come and see primal violence in action!).

Now, whether or not the cult of Shargash has been imported in any strength to Tarsh or not, I don't know. I'm thinking that any games held there my be run by those longing for the civilized pleasures of home, so could be dedicated to another god. But Humakti games just wouldn't be the same now would they?

All just IMO.

--Bryan