Re: Out standing in {his/our?} field

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:28:05 -0700

Adding to Ian's comprehensive reply, I too think the fields would be largish. The tiny stone-walled fields we see in say Ireland are an outcome of the celtic inheritance system - all the sons shared the estate, which means fields got smaller and smaller.

Vegetables and unusual crops would be nearest the lodges - in many cases even inside the palisade - and they would benefit the most from night soil and watering. Water meadows are usually reserved for pasture - and the most prized beasts. There may be fences to corral off animals, but otherwise boundaries would be marked off by tracks and guardian stones, which IMG are about a metre tall and carved with witty obscenities as well as yerr average runes and talismans. I always randomly scatter a few larger stoneworks and mazes through my field descriptions as well.

Clumps of trees and solitary oaks will be preserved as much as possible, leaving some fields with interesting plough patterns.

(No doubt as landing guides to visiting star captains. Rigsdali devote themselves to the intense study of such patterns in the landscape, as well as to the strange patterns that are sometimes found in growing corn fields. Everyone else laughs at them - its obvious they're made by wind daimones with too much time on their hands...) [Train of silliness abruptly terminated at this point].

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Now harvest time is here, my boys, so raise a bumper do To oats and beans and barley, oh, and to the turnips, too! Now early in the morning, oh, we rise up with the quail A lump of greasy bacon fat, and half a pint of ale.

So drink, boys, drink, for that is our master's brew And if you do not drink it all there'll be no more work for you