Re: Putting your enemies in the arena

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:57:04 -0700

spoiler space...

What about the oldie but goodie follower/family/innocent bystander grabbed off the streets and used as a hostage. Win and all are freed, with gifts (the carrot). Try and escape, and your follower X carefully kept in the dungeons will be sliced, diced and publicly executed as the main event (the stick). Lose and you die. (the big stick).

Slave bracelets are a fairly obvious game construct, but we are faced with the Gloranthan problems of dealing with magically powerful prisoners (probable answer: hostage exchange or quickly kill em), gaols (not an Orlanthi thing, and I suspect the Lunars would probably give you a fair trial and then kill you, preferably on the same day), and thralls.

Thralls, for me are the puzzle. How *are* they controlled?

John

> How about a magical net over the arena? Fine enough not to obscure vision
> but tough enough that you can't get through it easily.
Monofilament-sliced