Re: Out standing in {his/our?} field

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:52:35 -0000

water meadow &#92;Wa"ter mead"ow&#92; (Agric.) A meadow, or piece of low, flat land, capable of being kept in a state of fertility by being overflowed with water from some adjoining river or stream.

>From what I read, this usually involves small levees and sluices. They
are _not_ paddy's which are kept continually flooded. They are used for grain, esp wheat and were common in the 18th and 19th century Europe.

> > Herms. Herms are obscene. =) But fertile. Or is that virile?
>
> Of course. My subconscious was working, even if my forebrain was on
cruise
> control. Makes you wonder, who's the Heortling god with the big
penis carved
> into guardian stones. Heler? Barntar? Orlanth Rainbringer? A male
earth
> deity? All of the above?

All of the above. Probably Heler and/or Orlanth Thunderous. Barntar doesn't seem to be so _blatant_ in his attributes. Somehow I just don't see Elmal or Yelmalio like that. =) Urox isn't into _crop_ rituals. A pasture might have an urox plinth though.

No, I won't discuss Voriof in this context. =)

But a local earth god might be something too -- our new clan has found safety with a Hidden Valley. The local godling (I just don't like daimoine) has given them safety. When your clan is smaller than most bloodlines, you need all the safety you can get.

Player: "If the valley didn't want to be hidden, it wouldn't be a hidden valley, would it?"

Say, would anyone have any ideas on a way to build up a clan FAST? We've got a few ideas such as refugees (Whitewall and Firebull Clan go boom nearby) but I'd like to help my players a wee bit, if its not too silly. Of course, we've done a semi-successful 'Vinga/Elmal/Voriof Shelters The Refugees Heroquest*.'

Jeff
"All Your Cow Are Belong To Us."