Re: Re: essense trees of Aldrya

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:02:16 -0700

http://www.glorantha.com/new/everything.html They are moxtly mixed.

>I thought that in the sorcerous parts of the world the
>underlying otherworld with which most things were associated was
>sorcerous. Therefore no dryads, but rather forest essences. Trees
>would have tree essences, etc. I would think that elves living in
>this sort of forest, knowing only theistic/spiritual magic would be
>facing a major challenge. The obvious answers are either that
>
>1) I totally mis-understood your previous information--tree essences,
>don't be silly!

Actually, most of the essences in the world have been exterminated and/or mixed with other things to become common.

>2) The elf woods contain spirits, not essences, that is why they are
>elf woods and the elves can hold them against the humans.
Elf woods are mixed types, as well as being mostly common.

>3) There are "sub-cults" of elves in the west who have magic that
>lets them deal with essences effectively.
Of course this is true, but it's not sorcery (at least as I know it now.)

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>