Re: building headcount

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:11:35 -0400

bethexton_at_... wrote:

> > Say, would anyone have any ideas on a way to build up a clan FAST?
>
> Well, they are heroes, right? So setting up an immigration centre in
> the nearest displaced-persons flooded city just doesn't seem
> thematically appropriate. So how about something more

True enough. But gathering up refugees and the like as time passes and as the nascent clan gathers in the shattered remains of other clans and tribes is a steady increase. As I recall, there are a LOT of refugees out there on the roads of Sartar and more to come.

The problem is that, with a Hidden Valley, it _likes_ staying hidden. Though I think, now that we've written up the wyter, the valley may just let itself be found by those who need it. Sort of like the PC heroes did...

...though I have no explanation for the trolls that were living in Renvold's holy place.

> dramatic....perhaps they could forcefully liberate a village of
> Vedref (spelling? The horse-spawn thralls). Granted, they won't be
> much use for defense at first, but they are used to busting their

A useful thought but the Vendref are a bit far away and many of them are not exactly Orlanthi anymore. You're right about the lack of combat skills too.

> butts to support others, and the mass initiation ceremonies have the
> potential to make for an interesting scenario or two. Also, you

But I can see a lot of comic relief in trying to teach the Vendref how to be 'good orlanthi' and trying to instruct them in how to fight.

> never know what odd bits of lore and legend could have survived in
> such an odd culture....although my understanding is that the Vedref
> were mostly of heortling origins, there could be a bloodline of
> different background that has carefully guarded a secret or two
> against the time that it was needed.....

Mostly Heortling and Alakoring, yep. I suspect their mythology is pretty debased as they 'don't get out much.' Hmm! Good opportunites for folks with the 'Innsmouth look' -- little isolated communities of vendref who are busy worshipping something local. The Grazers don't care as long as the taxes are paid. And the vendref might be desperate for any sort of security in the looming Hero Wars.

> > Of course, we've done a semi-successful
> > 'Vinga/Elmal/Voriof Shelters The Refugees Heroquest*.'
> >
> > * The players got into a bit of a tiff about just which god was
> better
> > at protecting/gathering/sheltering refugees. The result was a bit
> of
> > a throw-down heroquest between the heroes.
>
> Voriof throwing down? this I would have paid to see :) Mind you, I

You know... with sheep. =)

Seriously, it was more along the lines of 'my way is best' for gathering/protecting renament peoples. I was surprised that the Odaylans didn't participate but we didn't have a copy of Storm Tribe yet and didn't know the important role that Odayla played in keeping folks alive during the Darkness.

But the operative word was 'rescue' and the debate was pretty lively.

> think the correct answer is either "Orlanth" or "Heort" (which roles
> back into Orlanth anyways). The others mostly came on the scene

Actually, while this is true, the concern was considered more along the lines of building a clan up from the shattered renament peoples. This is in the line of those living gods who protected the humans during the Darkness.

Heort and Orlanth, IMO, would be more useful for building tribes and societies. Somewhat larger ticket than my group has done, though they did do an Orlanth Allfather ritual when the Clan was finally founded (teeny thing that it is... less than 100 members so far but that will change dramatically...)

> late, once Orlanth's clan was long established and the storm tribe
> was actually built. It was Orlanth (granted, under heavy Ernaldan
> influence) who actually found various folk and first made a clan and
> then a tribe.
>
> --Bryan

The clans existed already, I think. Or at least each god has his or her own following. Orlanth and Ernalda took these disparate _groups_ and formed the Storm Tribe from them.

Now to go and write up a really nasty sorcerous heroband to serve as an ongoing foe for my group. Its time and past for such...

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant