Re: Re: Rune Lords

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:34:56 -0700

Jeff wrote:

> I would say not 'nicer' but more accurate depictions of the holiest of
> the gods servants. I always found the Rune Lord and/or Rune Priest
> somewhat divorced from the society they supposedly served.
>
> And those nutcase disciples, while they do remind me of Rune Lords, are
> a heck of a lot harder to become (barring heroquests which pump up the
> quester dramatically). The HP cost of being a Disciple is immense.

One major difference (that *I* see anyway...) between Rune levels and Disciples is that players generally expected and strived to become Rune levels. It was a natural progression to go from Lay memebr to Initiate to Rune Level as your skills improved ("Wohoo, I finally have my 5th 90% skill, Runelord here I come"). Disciples are, and are seen as, extremists in service of their god. "Normal" people are content to be initiates or devotees, only really whacked out loonies want to become disciples. People may look up to them, and strive to emulate them, but not everyone can be a Ghandi or a Mother Theresa.

Disciples are not the movers and shakers of the Hero Wars, they simply don't have the time for it, nor the tolerance to look for solutions outside of their god's way of doing things.

RR