Re: essense trees of Aldrya

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:44:49 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Greg Stafford wrote:

> >:The same thing happened with plants. However, Aldrya managed to contain
> >:all of those within her. Her being includes spirt trees, god trees,
> >:essence trees, and mixed trees.

Adept asked:
> >Does this mean that Elves are capable of such polymorphy of magic also?
> >Can an elf (learn to) manipulate sorcerous essenses?
>
> I don't think elves know sorcery.
> I do know that elves can use either spirit or divine magic, unlike human
> beings. They are an Elder Race, and their consciousness is not so
> differentiated to isolate the magics.
> --------
> Greg Stafford, greg_at_...

I've always liked the "green song" analogue for the magic of the Aldryami (originally from the Alvin Maker books, by O.S.Card)

Propably actually shaping essense into sorcerous spells is too "mostalish" for the elves. They have the ability to sense and manipulate the essense component of the Song of Aldrya, but I think it manifests more so that their "theists" and "animists" are able to use effect sorcerous essenses with their feats and spirits with no penalty.

        -Adept