How Orlanth Fixed the Hole in the Roof

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:11:33 +0100

Hi All,

Yes, it's another folktale... Not one from the gutter this time. Quite the opposite in some ways. :)

Regards,

Bruce

HOW ORLANTH FIXED THE HOLE IN THE ROOF After Orlanth married Ernalda, just like all young husbands, he brought many gifts to his new wife. He brought her the Green Basket of Plenty, which always served enough to feed all the guests in his hall. He brought her the Baby Cauldron, which produced a healthy young child for anyone who came to it with the correct sacrifice. And he brought her the Loom of Silver and Gold, with weights of gold and shuttles of silver. Now, Ernalda was very happy with these gifts, and she returned Orlanth's love when she bound his many wounds, and made oat cakes sweetened with honey for him, and (most of all) when she lay with him as his wife in the bedchamber. Orlanth and Ernalda were in love, and they were happy.
But one day, when Orlanth was away fighting one of his many foes, Ernalda found a smelly bundle of rags and straw by the hearth. When she picked it up to throw it outside, it turned out to be Eurmal. Ernalda scolded him, and demanded to know what he was doing cluttering up her hearth and how all this straw got here. "I'm only trying to keep warm," he whined. "I wouldn't have to sit this close to the hearth if only someone would fix the hole in the roof." Ernalda frowned: "The hole in the roof?" Eurmal pointed up from where he was cowering on the floor and, sure enough, there was a gaping hole torn in the thatch of the roof. She sighed and threw Eurmal out into the mud outside. Ernalda hadn't noticed this hole before, but it was not really so cold at the moment and she did have her new husband to keep her warm. But she knew that the hole would have to be fixed to keep the rain from getting in. By and by, Orlanth came home from his battle. Ernalda said nothing about the hole in the roof when she bound his many wounds. She said nothing about it when she gave him oat cakes sweetened with honey. But before they lay together in the bedchamber, she spoke to him. "Husband," she said. "I am very pleased with the gifts that you bring me. The Green Basket of Plenty makes sure our kin and guests are well fed in your hall. The Baby Cauldron makes sure that there will always be sufficient children. The Loom of Silver and Gold makes sure that our folk will always have fine clothes. But there is another gift that I would like. I want you to fix the hole in the roof." As men will in the bedchamber, Orlanth was pleased to promise anything to his wife. "Sweet Green Woman," he said. "I will fix the hole in the roof." And Orlanth and Ernalda were in love, and they were happy.
The next morning, Orlanth went outside to find a way to fix the hole in the roof. There he met Yinkin, who suggested that they go hunting together. Orlanth thought this was a fine idea and took up his spears and they spent the whole day hunting. That night, they brought back a magnificent bear. Ernalda was not pleased and in the bedchamber that night, she turned away from Orlanth because he had done nothing to fix the hole in the roof. "But I will make you a cloak from the bear's hide to keep you warm," said Orlanth. "That is all very well," said Ernalda. "But will it fix the hole in the roof?" So in the morning Orlanth went to see Yinkin and asked him to help fix the hole in the roof. Yinkin agreed to lie across the hole, and keep the rain from getting in. And this was fine, and Ernalda was happy. But when Elmal stood behind Heler and there was no warm sunlight for him to lie in, Yinkin got up and went away and the hole was back.
Ernalda was not happy. But again, Orlanth promised her: "Sweet Green Woman, I will fix the hole in the roof." The next morning, Orlanth went outside to find a way to fix the hole in the roof. There, he met Elmal, who suggested that they train the fyrd at arms. Orlanth thought this was a fine idea and took up his sword and shield and spent the whole day practising. That night, Ernalda was not pleased and in the bedchamber that night, she turned away from Orlanth because he had done nothing to fix the hole in the roof. "But our fyrdsmen will frighten off our foes and keep all our kin safe from harm," said Orlanth. "That is all very well," said Ernalda. "But will it fix the hole in the roof?" So in the morning Orlanth went to see Elmal and asked him to help fix the hole in the roof. Elmal agreed to hold his bright shield over the hole and keep the rain from getting in. And this was fine, and Ernalda was happy. But night fell, and Elmal had to go away and the hole was back. Ernalda was not happy. But again, Orlanth promised her: "Sweet Green Woman, I will fix the hole in the roof." The next morning, Orlanth went outside to find a way to fix the hole in the roof. There, he met Urox, who suggested that they go off a-raiding and a-searching for chaos. Orlanth thought this was a fine idea and took up his armour and his weapons and spent the whole day looking for enemies to conquer. That night, Ernalda was not pleased and in the bedchamber that night, she turned away from Orlanth. "But I have slain chaos foes and performed many brave deeds to honour you," said Orlanth. "That is all very well," said Ernalda. "But will it fix the hole in the roof?" So Orlanth went to see Urox and asked him to help fix the hole in the roof. Urox agreed to put his thick bull's hide over the hole and keep the rain from getting in. And this was fine, and Ernalda was happy. But Urox smelled chaos on the wind and ran off to fight it and the hole was back. Ernalda was not happy. In fact, she was furious and would no longer listen to Orlanth's promises. "All you have are boasts that mean nothing," she cried. "It even took Eurmal to notice that there was a hole in the first place! All you care about is hunting, and fighting and raiding!" Orlanth laid awake all the night. He knew who to blame for the hole in the roof now. "As if there could have been any doubt that it was all Eurmal's fault," he thought to himself. The next morning, he got the help of Yinkin, whose keen eyes helped him to track Eurmal, who had hidden himself away in a dark hole. He got the help of Elmal, whose bright shield shone light into the dark hole so that they could see Eurmal. And he got the help of Urox, whose great strength dragged Eurmal out of the hole and up onto the roof. Orlanth took his spears and pinned Eurmal in place over the hole so that he would keep the rain from getting in.
Because he was pinned down, Eurmal could not be like Yinkin and get up and go away when Elmal stood behind Heler and there was no warm sunlight to lie in. Nor could he be like Elmal and go away at night. Nor could he be like Urox and smell chaos on the wind and run off to fight it. And inside the hall, everyone was dry and warm. Ernalda no longer turned away from Orlanth in the bedchamber. Orlanth and Ernalda were in love, and they were happy. The only one who wasn't happy was Eurmal, who had to spend the whole winter up on the roof in the cold and wet.