Re: Advice from the ancestors

From: gjr_at_...
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:24:42 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

> Since all or at least most popular gloranthan cultures do have access
> to their ancestors and to the spirits of those who've lived in
> ancient times, it should be possible to get access to informations
> that could explain/solve many of the smaller and even some of the
> greater gloranthan mysteries, all by asking your forefathers/-mothers
> "granpa, what was Nysalor like...?"

Thunder Rebels states that most ancestors become part of an undifferentiated mass, so no access to individual memories. The only way to retain individuality is to become (at least) a hero. But then you have to communicate via the divination rules, also in Thunder Rebels, and equally vague.

Now this is specific to Heortlings, but I'd guess other cultures are similar. A general rule in Glorantha seems to me to be that communications from the other side are (a) difficult, (b) subject to interpretation and (c) coloured by the prejudices of the communicator.

In other words, I don't believe you can 'just ask great grandad', or anyone else. And even if you do, you can't really trust the answers.

For more, try searching the archives on gloranthadigest.com. I seem to remember various bunfights on this before.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net