Re: Digest Number 493

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:02:24 +0100

> From: <gjr_at_...>
>Thunder Rebels states that most ancestors become part of an
>undifferentiated mass, so no access to individual memories. The only way
>to retain individuality is to become (at least) a hero. But then you have
>to communicate via the divination rules, also in Thunder Rebels, and
>equally vague.
>
>Now this is specific to Heortlings, but I'd guess other cultures are
>similar. A general rule in Glorantha seems to me to be that communications
>from the other side are (a) difficult, (b) subject to interpretation and
>(c) coloured by the prejudices of the communicator.
>
>In other words, I don't believe you can 'just ask great grandad', or
>anyone else. And even if you do, you can't really trust the answers.

Good answer. I'd emphasize the "you can't really trust the answers" bit too. Why should a dead person have a more accurate, less biased memory than a live person? The only advantage they have is first hand knowledge of some events, this may be distorted by receiving worship (for heroes who get their individual deeds recorded and re-enacted). Those heroes may be horribly confused between the mythic act and the reality of their deeds (if one could make such a distinction, which I doubt).

Thom