Re: Re: Advice from the ancestors

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:51:31 -0400

stefan.drawert_at_... wrote:

> > IIRC, Sandy Peterson used to claim that one of the reasons that
> > people go to Dorastor and deal with Ralzakark is that he is a
> > survivor from pre-history and so is able to provide information not
> > available from elsewhere

> so it says in Dorastor-LOD, and I always wondered why journey so long
> when you easily could summon your favorite ancestor.

Assuming you are a) really his descenant and b) they are still around and c) they want to talk to you. But I like the 10w3 or more barrier that you have to breach to get a divination. It explains why its mostly done on holy days and by priests with support & ritual sacrifices.

> at least I got the impression one can do this while reading Gods Of
> Glorantha. IIRC the Ancestor Worship section reads like you can be
> fairly specific about what ancestor of yours one can call/summon.

And the picture implies you might need a chunk of said ancestor. But I suspect that the view of have changed in the 12+ years since Gods of Glorantha was published. I always found that version of the Daka Fal cult very mechanistic and sorta... "I'll give Great Uncle Bob a phonecall - HE has 5 runesspells and likes me a lot!"

But if you look at any sort of geneolgy chart, past 5 generations, one gets a lot of things to remember. And that assumes that, somewhere along the line, there wasn't some 'irregularities' in or out of wedlock (ahem)

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant