Re: Zorak Zoran at the Hill of Gold

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:26:31 -0000

Tim Ellis wrote:
> I was wondering about the Hill of Gold in terms of HW and the Quest
> Challenge.

'Hill of Gold' comes up regularly on the digest - the search engine at www.glornathadigtest.com may turn up some additional insights.

I suspect that a quester who arrives at the Hill of Gold as Yelmalio does have fire powers. To succeed at the quest he loses them to ZZ, if he fails and wins he gets to keep a Fire affinity - presumably however he loses something else.

How about giving the hero a Fire affinity in place of his Light affinity at the start of the quest (for cruel narrators at starting ability level). If he beats ZZ he keeps the Fire affinity and loses the Light affinity. There will be side affects for winning though - one might be that he can never learn his gods secret (after all he cannot raise his gods affinities to W2 - he is missing one of them), or if he has the secret already he loses knowledge of it but still may never again another one.

If you wanted to be cruel you could also cap his Devotee or Initiate of - after all he is treating his gods actions as failure.

Gaining the fire affinity thus may answer a short term need, but at the expense of long-term development.

Not sure what the gain is for losing to ZZ, but I wold want to reward the player for resisting the temptation of fire powers in some way.

Ian Cooper