Re: Ernalda Chained

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 02:38:53 -0000

A few points...

Open war has died away. Even commando actions are rarer. The last few uprisings didn't work...

> Blame the neighbors- "Orlanth was with us until the
(fill-in-the-blanks) did
> something we don't approve of, let's go get 'em!"

Really? I think that trying to stay alive might be more of interest to many. I am not talking of heroes - but ordinary Sartari and Heortlings. Remember, Bryan has _failed_ as far as they know that that point.

We, Godlearners that we are, know the time line -- in 1621, everyone else doesn't.

> Fundamentalism (of sorts)- "We were fine, but then fell from the
true path!
> If more men wore woad rather than decadent clothing during the
winter, the
> winds might blow again!"

Possible. But if the old ways don't work, and I think that when the winds stop, folks will attempt their most powerful and dangerous rituals to contact the gods -- when that fails, what then?

> > Its easy to say one is brave and one would NEVER betray one's god
like
> > that but... when you're faced with the reality?
>
> Many will certainly react this way, but not most, I think. Its very
hard to
> turn away from the old ways in a society as firmly seated in its
traditions
> as most on Glorantha. I think most would look for a way to fix the
old ways

Orlanthi have a strong innovative streak -- to do what they must to survive. And, when their gods stop working, many will wonder what to do.... That was the point I was trying to raise.

> rather than surrender to new ones. Also, do we even know if those
who
> convert are having an easier time? Greg's position for Tatius of
"They're
> just Provincials" might suggest that things suck for everyone and
the Empire
> just doesn't care ("One phase passes into another, and this too will
pass...

The Empire, in the sense of Dara Hapans might not care. BUT if they have working gods and YOU don't... that puts you at a terrible, terrible disadvantage. And folks will try to recover the power they need to survive and prosper...

> just some thoughts

Just some more thoughts.

Jeff