Re: essense trees of Aldrya

From: janjero_at_...
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 06:56:13 -0000

Old stuff, but interesting:

> I'll admit I find sorcery to be a very mechanistic sort of magic.

Maybe because those who invented it want it to be so (I mean Land of Logic).

Doesn't
> seem to fit the elves that well. For me its sort of like the
difference
> between "knowing" and "being."

I agree generally, but I think that even Aldryami can share a bit of logic.

> Besides, the dwarfs use sorcery exclusively. Can't see the elves
wanting
> to make themselves over in the image of their enemy.

I disagree here. Elves and dwarfs as sworn enemies is a stupid thing in my opinion. They live in different "ecological niches" and rarely mix or clash. I think that the vast majority of Aldryami ignores Mostali and vice versa.
I think that Uz are the sworn enemies of Aldryami because they like to eat them (and their insects infest the vegetals). But I figure Mostali and Aldryami, in general, as mutually exclusive kingdoms, not very likely to consider one the enemy of the other.

Another thing that stroke me was Greg's affirmation: the elder races have a less clear distinction of the various kinds of magic than the humans do and they can use spirits and divine magic indifferently, for instance. Have I understood this fact clearly? Does this fact apply to all the elder races? Do Arkati Trolls, for example, use sorcery but are unaware to do so?

Ciao,
Gian