Re: OT: Electronic episodes (was New Poll)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:18:18 -0000

One possibility is to try the "Shareware" approach - I know Marcus L. Rowland distributes his Forgotten Futures game in this way, and, as he is continuing to expand it, I assume he considers he is getting a reasonable rate of return...

> Distribution over the web is fast, easy, and relatively cheap, and
> if mistakes or omissions are discovered, they can be fixed almost
> immediately.

A bit of a double edged sword, though, if it leads to a constant stream of updates or corrections, rather than "getting it right" to start with. (This would be especially true if you were charging for the download in some way. If you pay for the download, pay for the web connection to make the download, and pay for the paper and ink to print it out, only to discover the product has been "Updated" or "corrected" the very next day, you are likely to be a bit upset...)

> And I don't need legions of loyal volunteer trollkin at key places
> round the globe assisting me with myriad currency exchanges.

Although you do need a way of collecting small payments from a myriad of countries if you do want to charge - "Paypal" is one solution, although it still requires you to have a Credit Card outside of the US.