Re: Re: OT: Electronic episodes

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:26:05 -0400

Mike Dawson wrote:

> > Ian:
> > > I suspect the author would be asking you to pay for the effort
> they
> > > spent writing the material, and charging you far less because the
> > > cost of distribution was far lower.
>
> Exactly.

Yes, this is the case. Some games make some of their material shareware -- many have been cited. But the problem is, there's no income from this for Issaries (or the author) which is bad.

> > Right - but paypal and similar systems introduce extra cost for
> > transaction processing.
>
> Not to the buyer.

The set up cost _is_ significant to the vendor though. I have a few friends and acquaintances who sell various novelty items through the internet (Sluggy shirts, Fez's, jewelry and things like that). I'd look to Eric Rowe for advice or input as he's the guru of obscure gaming stuff for sale online.

> As I say, I might be prepared to pay
> > pennies...
>
> the market for HW stuff is far too small for anyone to earn more than
> the cost of a beer at that rate.

Sad but true.

> but then the value per transaction is usually too low to
> > be worthwhile. Information wants to be free - now that we have
> > escaped the wood pulper, we should stop paying for it, IMO. But
> > thats very OT.

Information wants to be free? Really? Shouldn't artists should be paid for their work? I know I like to get paid for my work. But that IS getting VERY OT.

> And I haven't escaped my mortgage....
>
> My guess is we are about to get a message from the list mom about this
> topic.
>
> Mike

Not really. Its not _quite_ OT but I think the Poll _is_ a useful thing. I notice from it that there's a lot of folks willing to pay a few bucks for a 30+ page supplement. This is an avenue that could and should be explored, I think.

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant