RE: Re: OT: Electronic episodes

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:24:34 -0400

> PDFs make Narrators' lives more difficult. They don't
> prevent dissemination of unauthorised copies at all. I
> agree they're pretty, but I don't think that's the be-all
> and end-all of the argument.

That's the case for any electronic format though not just PDF. Or for that matter print, if your players want to read scenarios the only way to protect them is not to commit them to paper or bytes.

As far as the attributes of PDF's go if you set up a document properly in a word processor or whatever and then transfer it to PDF at least you get a lot more control over how the document ends up looking. I agree with Jeff that I wouldn't want to include too many graphics or whatever in the file though. That's what I did with the original PDF calendar on my website and it took up over 8 mb of space (more than half the space Geocities gave me in fact). The new one I put there without graphics only takes up around 100 k. Big difference, especially since there are actually more papes to the new calendar.

The argument really doesn't have to be over the format but rather whether it's available or not and whether you want to charge for it or not (and how you want to charge for it). Having a choice of formats isn't a bad idea though it does beef up your storage requirements.

Your options are :

  1. Start an e-commerce store. This can cost big bucks or very little (but you usually get what you pay for).
  2. Use something like PayPal.
  3. Have a site showing abstracts or synopsis of scenarios. Get people to send you checks or money orders. E-mail or mail them a copy. Something nice printed off and put in a duotang or spiral bound isn't that different than something professionally bound now is it?

Oliver