Re: OT: Electronic episodes (was New Poll)

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:29:09 -0000

> I believe he was referrting to the 'find in page' function that most
> browsers support. This works well if the document is HTML or a
similar
> document. It doesn't work to well for pdfs.

When a PDF file is opened in a browser, its in a plugin window, and the browser won't serach it (or print it, Explorer is liable to hang if you try). The plugin has its own toolbar which should search and does print. A PDF file on your HD, viewed by Acrobat Reader, should search normally (its just a string-matching alorithm) and support inpage  hotlinks. Also, you can of course make your index and TOC live and linked, which I think is a substantial improvement over paper-n- print. Lastly, there is nothing preventing the author of a PDF putting in a series of memo fields, couple of whole pages filled with nothing but a memo field, or a column memo field on each page, whatever, to allow user annotation which will be preserved with the PDF. PDF! PDF! PDF!