Re: Re: OT: Electronic episodes

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:01:11 +1000

I think the entire issue of whether PDFs can be plagiarised is an unnecessary diversion: in these days of cheap scanners and downloadable cracking software, *any* medium can be cracked and rendered into another for illegal distribution - paper, PDF, Andrin's stone law tablets, whatever. I can crack a PDF - whether I'd waste the time doing so is another matter. And any ten year old can run a rulebook through a text scanner for you. (In fact I recommend ten year olds - the necessary bribe is of a manageable proportions, and they're guaranteed to know more about the pc and software than you do).

If someone paid me as an author a dollar or two for a quality scenario or magazine they'd downloaded in PDF format, I wouldn't lose sleep over them e-mailing a copy to a friend (though c.c.ing a copy to everyone on the GTA mailing list would be another matter.). After all, I pass on books and cds, and even on occasion, scenarios (no, *NOT* Return to Duck Tower. Don't bother asking). It's an old issue, as old as copyright, and whether we're talking photocopies or PDFs the essentials have changed.

I'm interested in PDFs as an adjunct to printed material, a way of getting information to people in a way that doesn't require me to morgage the cat (again). If Gloranthan authors can receive some small recompense for their considerable labours, I'm all for it, and I believe the community would be as well.
Even small print runs of printed zines will set a publisher back a thousand dollars or so. Glorantha survived its Greater Darkness through the efforts of individuals who put up time and money to produce fan zines. The fan/community tradition has always been an important part of being a Gloranthaphile. The discussion has been interesting, and I'm looking forward to see the outcome of Mike's poll, and to how the several PDF projects about to be available for free download will be received by the community.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                   John Hughes

That is really amazing. That is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I'd like to steal it.