Odayla - was Ring composition

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:33:36 +1000

> IMO Odaylans fill the seats for Odaylans, but in the light of Storm Tribe
> I don't think that they are that common. I suspect that even clans that
> are dependant on hunting don't want ring-members that wander in the woods
> for several seasons a year.

My own clan has a considerable number of Odaylans spread through upland hunting camps. At least I thought they were Odaylan, though by the writeup it seems most of them must be Ormalayons. Solitary wilderness walkers who disappear for seasons at a time won't be very common as PCs, and have little use for social structures beyond the family, if they marry at all.

I suspect most GMs will modify the pure form of the cult as described in the writeup, citing local pressures and environmental factors. The model seems to be the frontier mountain man, but Sartar just doesn't have the frontier, the wilderness, or the ecological necessity for season long hunting trips. 90% of a hunter's subsistence comes from small game and vegetable gatherings, and hunting large game requires *teamwork*. Heortlings love of family, their communal sensibilities and strong emotional/ritual ties to tula would mean that these solitary hunters would be very rare indeed. And their worldview (which I've previously explored in some detail on the Digest) would be so different from most of the clan that I can't see them being very useful as a Ring member.

Any Odaylan Ring member would be an elder, probably crippled or too old to hunt effectively, and wouldn't be making continual long trips in the gors. In the circumstances, Ormalayon or even Velhara cultists would be much more likely to take the Ring positions.

For any clan with lots of hunters though, have a regular night for your moots.

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

For every thing that lives is holy, life delights in life; Because the soul of sweet delight can never be defil'd. - William Blake.