Re: Electronic Episodes

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:25:00 -0000

> Er... why not take advantage of a strength of electronic
> distribution (it makes material easily customisable by
> game narrators), rather than lock content down so tight
> it can't be adapted by end users?

Well it (the content) can still be adapted - there are no RPG police after all - it's just the document itself can't be customised any more easily than a Printed document (Maybe slightly easier - I can Copy text to the clipboard from Ian Thompson's "Back in the Cradle" pdf, which is easier than scanning through an OCR program...)

> > Yes, you might want to re-write bits of handouts to fit
> > your campaign, or tweek provided PC character sheets
> > to match your house rules - but again you would need
> > to do that to photocopies if you had bought hardcopy.
>
> Yur, but ISTM the point is that you *didn't*.

Didn't what? If you never felt the need to change any of the bits the players might see before(*), why the sudden urge to do so now? ("I demand the right to modify the document even though I've never actually wanted to do so in the past?")

or "Didn't buy a Hardcopy" - I can see that some people might be more tempted to spend "pennies" on an adventure in electronic format than "pounds" on a scenario book(let) but generally are people who wouldn't normally buy sceanrios going to be a potential market for this sort of project anyway?

(*) You might well want to change the bits the players don't see - NPC Stats, found items that tie back into your campaign, entirely new episodes of your own devising, or excision of a part of the scenario you don't like - but why does this need to be done "in-line" in the pdf document - If I'm going to be running a scenario published in this fashion then I'm already dealing with a stack of loose sheets of paper - another few pages won't make any difference!