Re: Electronic Episodes

From: Mark Galeotti <hia15_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:26:10 -0000

Although if these notional PDF/whatever e-ventures are considered as equivalent to the fanzine end of the market rather than Issaries Inc products, then I don't think anyone actually makes any real money on them. If you write a scenario for UW, Tales or TT then you get a free copy, not cash in the bank. And on the whole I don't think any of the magazines are run to make a particular profit, either (in the case of UW, so long as we cover our outlays, we're happy!).

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms whatsoever about Mike or whoever making a little money out of producing good-quality scenarios of the sort HW so desperately needs, but if comparisons are being drawn with magazines, content is pretty much free (except for the copy of the issue) because people want to write this stuff, see it in print with pretty pictures, etc and get it into the hands of a wide and adoring public. It's the printing and shipping that costs.

Mark

The Unspoken Word, a Gloranthan magazine http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword