Re: Re: Odaylan mountain men

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:11:02 -0400

ian_hammond_cooper_at_... wrote:

> Anyone know of any good source material for how heortlings would
> hunt, or had any thoughts on the matter.

I'd look into books on the Iroquois and similar cultures but that might be a bit too primitive for your needs. Though I find that they are good for the more Western branches of the Orlanthi (at least in my Glorantha). There some bits about hunting in the various eddas (I'll check when I get home -- or let John Hughes quote them) which seem to have the right feel about them.

> Some part of me guesses that Heortlings tend to hunt with bow and
> arrow and use cat-like techniques - stalk and ambush - as opposed to
> dog-like techniques - the chase.

They also do a fair bit of trapping. Its the best way to get small and fur-bearing game. Not sure if they do big-time trapping like Buffalo Jump or driving animals into large enclosures. I think that's something you'd find in Wenelia and Balazar (I MUST get my players there again...)

> Is hunting just a survival skill among the Heortlings - or has it
> also been elveated to a sport?

Probably a bit of both. But when does ritual become sport? The Odaylans clearly have ritualized hunts out of a sense of awe and need and obligation. Unlike more primitive groups, Orlanthi hunting seems more individualized and solo, rather than the group strategy required to bring down large game (eg mastadon and aurochs).

Jeff