Re: Odaylan mountain men

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 14:42:14 -0000

Jeff Kyer wrote:
> I'd look into books on the Iroquois and similar cultures but that
might be a bit too primitive for your needs.<

Could be useful though, I seem to be unable to find out about anything much more than medieval coursing and falconery at the moment, which is not quite right for Heortlings, if only becuase they don't have dog packs to hunt with.

> They also do a fair bit of trapping.<

Good - should have thought of that.

> Probably a bit of both. But when does ritual become sport?<

I would guess when the hunt is not about food but about the act of hunting itself. Eurpoean medieval hunting as a nobles pursuit seems to fall into this category, though Celtic and Roamn tales seem to also have hunts whose purpose is more related to the display of skill among the hunters than hunger as well.

Ian Cooper