Re: Odaylan mountain men

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:31:34 -0000

> As an heroic society, I'd say it is a sport: an opportunity for
boasting and a means for keeping the warriors occupied. Certainly, it was a sport to the Dark Age societies of Britain, which are some of the analogous we use.<

Agreed. Though some of this may have been created for a hereditary aristocracy, but I like the idea of it being there still. Tarsh and Heortland both seem more likely places for hunting as a sport to me than Sartar, but I'm sure its there.

However I cannot see hawking or falconry (the bird is too solar - perhaps among the Yelmalio worshippers around Far Point, south Sartar, and Tarsh). Dogs are wrong too, and I have trouble with packs of dogs running down prey. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought cats were generally ambush hunters (ok with one or two exceptions), which is why I would favour the stalk and ambush over the chase - it just seems more appropriate.

There might be both 'Yinkini Hunting' (the stalk and ambush), and 'Odaylan Hunting' (trapping and river fishing - uuuh, how do bears hunt when they can't find trash cans) in the Heortling hunter's repetoire, but I suspect they fron on Telmori hunting (the group chase to run down prey).

Thoughts/comments,

Ian