RE: Re: Odaylan mountain men

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:50:41 -0400

Ian Hammond asks :

> There might be both 'Yinkini Hunting' (the stalk and ambush),
> and 'Odaylan Hunting' (trapping and river fishing - uuuh, how do
> bears hunt when they can't find trash cans) in the Heortling hunter's
> repetoire, but I suspect they fron on Telmori hunting (the group
> chase to run down prey).

Most bears aren't hunters, only brown bears and polar bears actively hunt (and I'm betting there are brown bears who have never hunted big game either) :

Grizzly Bear

"The diet of Ursus arctos consists mainly of vegetation and shifts to different foods as the seasons progress. In spring, grasses, sedges, roots, moss and bulbs are mainly eaten. During summer and early autumn, berries are essential, with bulbs and tubers also eaten. Ursus arctos consumes insects, fungi and roots at all times of the year and also digs mice, ground squirrels and marmots out of their burrows. In the Canadian Rockies, grizzly bears are quite carnivorous, hunting moose, elk, mountain sheep and goats, and occasionally black bears are preyed upon. In Alaska, Ursus arctos has been observed to eat carrion and occasionally capture young calves of caribou and moose. Grizzlies have also been observed to feed on the vulnerable populations of breeding salmon in the summer in these ares."

"Brown bears are extremely strong and have good endurance; they can kill a cow with one blow, outrun a horse, outswim an Olympian, and drag a dead elk uphill."

Animal Diversity Web http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu <http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu>

I believe brown bears try and get close enough to their prey and then ambush them.

Generally speaking you don't want to chase a animal before killing it, the meat I understand tastes better if the animal isn't chased or scared. I can't remember however exactly what causes this though, it might be adrenaline. I imagine Odaylan hunters scorn the chase as being what "other types of hunters do" imagine a superior sniff after that.

Oliver