Re: Furtrading

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:48:56 -0400

"Richard, Jeff" wrote:

> A quick comment:
> >> weapons. They just aren't that likely to ever collect enough furs
> >> achieve those ambitions. Others may be in some sort of spiritual
> balance
> >> with nature. It just depends on the Odalyan, I would guess.
> >I would assume that if such a person took up fuur-trapping full time
> >for sale purposes, they would in effect be coming down from the
> >mountain. They are soon goign to run into the ususal problems -
> >stock storage, keeping your earned weqlth safe, etc, all of which
> >will tend to bind them back into "orthodox" Heortling society.
>
> To use the "mountain-men" analogy once again (see, it does have its
> uses
> John:)), it is unlikely that the Odaylan handles the "business aspect"
> of
> fur-trading. Instead, he would probably trade his furs to a local
> merchant
> in exchange for *stuff*.
>
> Jeff

Traditional 'trapping for profit' has a few interesting side effects, especially on _what_ is traded. Usually such trapping it is practiced during the winter months -- this is when the furs are most valuable. Few exceptions (such as hides and beaver & otter pelts) exist. In the summer, one would make a journey down to the local store/trading post (a mountainman) or a much longer journey to the trading post (Hudson Bay Company or Nor'Westers) trade meet (pre-Conquest Quebec) where the traders would purchase the furs. IN the case of the mountain man, he'd trade for some sacks of flour and other essentials such as lead shot, traps, clothing, etc and hard cash. In the case of the natives & ancient fur trade, it was more for luxury goods rather than essentials.

Remember, fur trapping usually requires a trapline (exceptions being static creaturess like beaver & or hunted beasts such as bear) -- these can be in excess of 30 km long and require a lot of time and effort to maintain adn frequent inspection. No point in trapping for foxes if something's going to eat the thing before you can skin it.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant