Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:50:02 -0000

> That still leaves a lot of Dark and Storm season to get out and kill
> beasties.

Dark Season is _COLD_...!

> > Having said all that, I imagine that many Orlanthi do get some
game,
> > but it makes much more sense to me that this is more along the
lines
> > of snaring rabbits and trying to bring down grouse in the nearby
> > woods when you have a quiet couple of hours than in serious
hunting
> > trips. Oh, and in season probably stealing wild eggs from the
nest
> > is popular.
>
> I think you could get deer near the steads as well for the
aforementioned
> reasons. There are undoubtably lots of taboos about which animals
you can
> hunt and when. These taboos probably tie quite nicely in with the
times of
> year when most people are too busy to hunt or the game needs to be
> protected.

That and there are areas where the land has never been tamed -- remember there's a lot of area where its not up to the humans that its wilderness. There's powerful spirits and trolls and aldryami and hsunchen and other creatures.

> I just thought of the number one reason why Odaylans spend time away
from
> the steads - so no one can make you farm!

No One Can Make You Farm Anything!

> I can see the possibilty of groups getting away in the less busy
seasons for
> a drunken weekend. They probably bring back the odd would be hunter
who
> managed to spear himself or who got hit by a friend's javelin. (I
can see

Its also a good opportunity to get away to do the all important Men's Rites. (ie the drunken weekend) The women have the Loom House, the men have the Hunt Camp. Orlanth's Hall was first a Stead and before that it was a Camp.

> the women shaking their heads as the brave hunters head off into the
bush,
> spears on shoulders and the equivalent of a two four (a case of 24
beer) in
> their packs wondering how many bandages and how much ointment they
should
> have prepared for their return).

Sounds like a good life to me. We pretty much did that at the family hunt camp. Even granddad would come out and hunt -- (okay, he'd stay in the cabin porch and enjoy the sunshine).

> Most pioneers would have managed to squeeze the occasional hunting
trip in.
> Unfortunately in Glorantha you get an increased possibility for them
to end
> up like the movie Deliverance:-(

Squeal like a Mraloti!

Jeff