Re: What to Hunt?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:13:20 -0700

John wrote

> Small game, birds and fish are easiest, and will be the most often hunted.

We might be arguing semantics, but my recollection from ecological anthropology classes is that small game is the *least* often hunted. It is of no prestige (thus women sometimes hunt it), and you get far more meat for the same effort if you can bag a big creature like a deer. One reason there's more prestige with a deer is that you get to share the meat with everyone else (i.e. everyone else now owes you).

It's certainly possible that, because there aren't as many deer to find, hunters most often return home with small game. But that's not what they set out to hunt.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>