Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:57:11 -0000

> wolfskin with a 'souvenir of Dublin ' branded on the back.:) If

"My Warband Went To Dublin But All I Got Was This Lousy Bersark"

> ironically because beaver skin hats went out of fashion in Europe.
Is that
> right? Empires have fallen for stranger reasons I guess.

Sounds plausible - there was a fairly extensive trade in Ostrich feathers which were very popular in the 20's, but it was almost totally wiped out after the Depression.

> sustainability traditions *are* very real - their lives depend on
it. They
> can't go to Macas if they killed one too many deer last season -
the deer
> are gone forever, and the people starve. There tends to be a touch

Sure, but I'm not sure its done sufficiently consciously to justify it as an opinion or philosophy. Are Odaylans, or other Gloranthans, able to take the step back and see this argument in the abstract? I'm not sure they have a good enough overview - their data is largely limited to personal experience, and they have no tools for conducting comparative population analyses of various fauna.

There IS a long tradition of not taking more than you need from nature. Whether this originates from the same kind of thoughts as modern environmental concern is probably unprovable, but I think unlikely.

> age spirituality liable to creep into to our conceptions of these
> traditions-rightly or wrongly- but the traditions *are* real, are
> at times

I read a north american indian site some years ago, and was struck by FAQ which described their attitude to "twinkies" - Westerners who have a romanticised view of native traditions and can't handle the blood involved. Cherokee, IIRC.

> very different from our own consumerist/materialist standard-of-

Formal Materialism is a lot more sophisticated than mere consumerist acquisitiveness. One might even say its antithesis.

> living
> driven mindsets, and *are* excellent science. Something like

They might be True, but they are probably not science.