Re: Fate of Vadrus?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:14:07 +0200

Ilkka Vuoristo asked about the Fate of Vadrus.

>What happened to him? I just got my hands on Storm Tribe (don't
>ask...) and it says in Valind description that Orlanth defeated Vadrus
>at some point. I assume that Orlanth didn't kill him since that would
>be kinslaying... Was Vadrus banished or did he flee? Is he still
>around? If so what's his function? And if not how did he perish?

Vadrus ain't around any more. As Jeff replied:

>In brief: Vadrus decided that he would take the a newly found god's
>power for his own.

Unlike Jeff, I think that he succeeded, and underwent a change of name.

Vadrus was the goat god of the Umathing peoples in southern Peloria. He and his followers raided and raped around the world (see the various merman myths of origin).

He isn't worshipped any more by the Orlanthi of Peloria. Most Orlanthi regard goats as unclean... and goatkin even more so.

So, if Vadrus became Ragnaglar (I know he is in myths fighting chaos rather than birthing it, but who says all myths are consistent), he met his fate fighting Urox.

There are storm worshippers who still keep goats as the favourite sacrifice of their deity - the Ygglings of Ygg's Isles and Threestep Isle (possibly in Jrustela and Ginorth in southern Seshnela as well). They may have more positive myths of Vadrus, but these myths might as well be of one of his sons. None of the sons of Umath is just a run-of-the-mill deity, even if Humakt is treated as such.