RE: Re: Issaries Inc heroquest for communication

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 05:22:39 +0100

On Wednesday, July 11, 2001 10:37 PM, ian_hammond_cooper_at_... [SMTP:ian_hammond_cooper_at_...] wrote:

> Rumor has it that Greg was about to post the Secret of the
> GodLearners to the list, when the gift carriers struck. ;-)
>
> Ian Cooper

Nah, it's a trickster thing:

There came a time when Eurmal had convinced everyone that he really did know all the answers, and that it wasn't all just his imagination at work. He sat in a cave with a bull's hide covering his head, and a big beard just like the Know-It-All God's and people came to him in search of wisdom. At first, he thought this was wonderful! They brought him food, and they brought him drink and they brought him other gifts (though no matter how many hints he dropped, they never brought him their pretty daughters and sisters), and all he had to do was make up stories for them. Eurmal became very popular and now everyone wanted to talk to him. So Eurmal persuaded Lhankhor Mhy to write down the questions and answers and he persuaded Issaries to carry these messages far and wide, so now people who were not near Eurmal could ask him questions and send him even more gifts in return (though no matter how many hints he dropped, they never brought any pretty girls). However, it all got out of hand. Eurmal found that there were too many questions, and *everyone* wanted answers straightaway. And what was worse, whenever he gave an answer, people would argue over it and they would get very upset if it wasn't exactly the same as the ones he had given before. Eurmal didn't even have time to eat his food and drink his drink and think about pretty girls any more.
"If only," he said. "I had some way to stop answering all these questions!" And he realised this was the answer. He burned Lhankhor's scrolls and broke his writing stick so he couldn't write down any more messages. He stole Issaries' tongue and hid it in a deep hole so he couldn't carry any more messages. And finally he pulled down the entrance to his cave so that no-one could get in and talk to him.
At first, this was fine. Eurmal sat in the dark and ate his food, and drank his drink and thought about pretty girls. But soon, the food ran out and he was hungry. And the drink ran out, and he was thirsty. And sitting on his own in the dark thinking about pretty girls was making him go blind. Eurmal tried to get out of the cave, but the entrance was full of rocks so he couldn't. He shouted and tried to get Issaries to carry a message for him, but he had hidden Issaries' tongue so the messenger couldn't talk to anyone. He tried to get Lhankhor to write down a message for him, but he had burned all the scrolls and broke his writing stick so the knowing god couldn't take the message.
Eurmal was stuck on his own in the dark with no food and no drink and no pretty girls until someone came to rescue him. "No wonder they call me the Trickster," he cried. "I even trick myself!"

:)

Regards,

Bruce