Re: Odaylan and "mountain men"

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:01:06 -0000

> Now, if by "commercial trapping", you mean large, well-organized fur
> companies, with trappers armed with the best in Mostali technology,
that
> probably does represent a destructive view of the wilderness.
However, I
> don't think anyone is suggesting that Odaylans operate in such a
manner.

No, I think that there is an important difference in the size of the markets the trappers are serving. If the odaylans are serving a small, local community with itenerant traders, the ability to move furs will be, well, not limited, but there will be a distinct aggregate ceiling that fluctuates over time. With the NA experience, the volume of demand was so high that virtually any furry critter you got was marketable. I don;t think that applies in DP - no railroad for one thing.